This week marked the four-year anniversary of the firing of Joel Matlin from AlarmForce, the home alarm company he founded in 1988. Over the 25 years Joel was at AlarmForce, he grew it to be one of the largest home alarm companies in North America. The brand was known throughout Canada, with Matlin being the public face of the company with over $100 million dollars spent on marketing, all of which Joel would be featured in.
Over the past 4 years, much has happened with both Joel and his former company. In 2015, Joel reentered the home alarm space by starting Think Protection with his son Adam (who was also fired along with Joel). Think Protection differs from AlarmForce, as there’s no annual contract, a lower monthly monitoring rate and an award-winning system that can be installed anywhere in North America. With this new technology and strong value proposition, Think Protection has become North America’s fastest growing alarm company.
AlarmForce, however, hasn’t been as successful since the firing of Joel. The CEO that replaced Joel (former CFO Anthony Pizzonia) subsequently stepped down after less than a year on the job. He was replaced by Graham Badun, an individual with no experience in the alarm industry. Furthermore, the Board of Directors responsible for the firing have all since been replaced as well. This has coincided with significant head office turnover plus numerous layoffs. With significant attrition, AlarmForce has suffered net subscriber loss (which at no point occurred during any point of Joel’s tenure at the company). The AlarmForce stock has gone sideways and the company has sold off their US assets.
When asked about the past 4 years, Joel Matlin commented “The firing was a blessing in disguise. I loved AlarmForce, but the Board of Directors at the time fired me. They thought they had a better plan and time has shown they didn’t. The silver lining is that I was able to start Think Protection with my son Adam”.
Joel continued “Over the past 2 years since we launched hundreds of AlarmForce customers have switched to Think since our value proposition includes better technology at a far lower price. With our $12.99/month monthly monitoring rate and with no contract, our value is impossible to beat. And it’s amazing how many former AlarmForce customers have said they switched to Think Protection because they didn’t like how I was fired. It’s a great comeback. We’re able to give these new Think Protection customers a better value and customer service.”
Do you have an AlarmForce home alarm system and are thinking of switching over to Think Protection? Here are a few AlarmForce reviews of former customers who made the switch and are now protecting their homes and families with Think Protection. and are saving hundreds of dollars!
– Christopher B (Etobicoke, ON): We are pleased with the product and service we have received. It will prove to be an appreciable saving from our previous arrangement with AlarmForce. We were with them for 20 years and they gave us no consideration for our loyalty. We probably paid for the somewhat primitive system 10 times over and still had to return it when we terminated our contract with them. I feel much of their downhill skid is directly related to Joel Matlin no longer managing their affairs. Thank you again.
– David C (Edmonton, AB): I am really happy with my purchase in Think Protection. When I talked to AlarmForce about cancelling and switching to Think Protection, they tried to convince me that I had to do the install and configuration myself, and that it was very complicated. However, my real experience was it was VERY easy to install and I was never left on my own, as the instructions have you call in when you’re ready and they help you through a very simple process of enrolling my sensors into the system. It was actually easier to set up the new Think Protection system than it was to cancel my old AlarmForce system! I would recommend this system to anyone. The monitoring is half the price of my old AlarmForce system and it has so many more features. I thought the upfront cost was very reasonable. I also like that I can buy Z-wave devices from Think Protection (or from third parties) and they will be compatible with this system.
– Keith C (North York, ON): My family and I are very glad we switched to Think Protection. The value is unbeatable. We are former Rogers Home Monitoring and AlarmForce customers so I am quite aware of the prices these competitors charge, their product, as well as their customer service. To reduce our monthly expenses, we were looking for a reliable home alarm system that was not dependent on a land phone line. After learning about your product through your sales representative on the phone, we felt that Think Protection was the right product and service for us. We have had friendly and patient service from all of your representatives with no overselling. The great thing about your products is that they are highly customizable and very simple to set up – basically, peel and stick the contacts up at each location while a live agent walks you through the process – they verify that there is good contact and signal strength – and your done. Being able to access our system over the internet is also a great feature. Thank you for following up and for the terrific customer service. It has been a pleasure so far.
– Gordon O (Leduc, AB): Overall, I am satisfied with the systems form Think Protection for both my residence and the business. I appreciate the opportunity to provide feedback. I am happy with the system over all and think it is a well-designed, good system, definitely an upgrade from my previous AlarmForce system.
– Danny P (Ste-Anne-de Bellevue, QC): I had a very bad experience with Alarm Force in the past with false alarms and being unable to turn off the system and eventually stopped using it all together. I must say I was impressed with the initial setup of the system and also the installation was very easy. The system seems to work well and I really love the smart phone application and control.
Cancel your AlarmForce home alarm system and switch to Think Protection today!
Get your Think Protection home alarm system by calling 1-855-768-4465 or through our online e-store!
On Tuesday, June 2nd Joel Matlin, Think Protection CEO, was on BNN discussing the launch of the company and the future of home security. Joel talked about how a Think Protection home security systems are affordable and only $12.99/month for monitoring – far lower than any other home alarm company. And unlike other home alarm companies, Think Protection has no annual contract!
Joel also discussed how Think Protection has full home automation capabilities, and can easily be added to your Think Protection alarm at any time for only $49.99/upfront and then just an additional $1.99/month. This includes the ability to control your thermostat, front door locks and lights from your smartphone.
Joel also spoke about his firing from AlarmForce, and how Think Protection is positioned to be incredibly disruptive, because of it’s lower price point, more advanced technology and lack of an annual contract.
The Think Protection system is perfect for all homeowners, renters, condo owners or students. Easily moved, completely wireless and affordable, Think Protection is providing the most advanced home security at the absolute best price – with no contract to tie you up!
Watch the BNN interview here